Monday, September 12, 2011

No Thanks, Miley Cyrus, I'd Rather Party in Sweden




Call it a strange case of Stolkholm syndrome, but I love Sweden. Because I'm poor and can't actually go there, I've always been fascinated by other countries, mostly the romantic ones like Italy and France and... Scotland (love by the loch). But now I've developed a soft spot in my heart for the land of the midnight sun. It's taken me awhile to put all the pieces together. I love IKEA. I love the Swedish meatballs they serve at IKEA.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo compelled me to read more Swedish literature. I love The Sounds, Peter Bjorn and John, and Jose Gonzalez (don't let the name fool you- he's Swedish). Who doesn't love Swedish Fish? And my favorite Muppet? Well, Animal. But THEN... well, Kermit. But the Swedish Chef is probably in my top 10 somewhere. Mostly what I love about Sweden is this news story, which was very well incorporated into the coverage of the set up for the set up of the 9/11 memorial (what? It was like 2 in the morning):

It was a dark, windy and rainy night when Per Johansson returned from work to his home in Saro just south of Gothenburg, Sweden.

"It was raining really bad. In the wind I heard something screaming with a very dark voice," Johansson told CNN. "At first I wondered if it was the crazy neighbors, but then I heard it again and went and checked. I saw something really big up in a tree in my neighbors' yard and it was a moose. It must have been drunk after eating fermented apples and as it was reaching out for more fruit it must have slipped and fallen into the tree."

The rest of the story can be found here

Blame it on the vodka. Blame it on the henny. Blame it on the blue top. Got you feeling dizzy. Blame it on the a a a a a apples. Boy, the Swedes must really know how to party if even their moose have a tendency to have a bit of a stumble into a tree. Makes you wonder what the Swedish chef was really cooking up and his "speech impediment." I think I smell a plot cooking for The Hangover 3- Balls Deep in Sweden

But mostly I love Mr. Moose's drunken escapade is that for me it brought a lighter tone to what was going to be a long, somber day. With a reminder of the past that will not be forgotten, a nation changed forever and the present that is spiraling downward, it's nice to have a news story that easily puts a smile to any person's face. Except for the moose because I'm sure he was rocking an awful hangover.




No comments:

Post a Comment