Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Jury Duty that Wasn't



Thank you, Westmoreland County Courthouse for realizing that anything that happens on Leap Day doesn't count. No, I wasn't caught stalking in attempts for employment and put on trial by jury. I was supposed to be the jury. Well, one of them at least. About a month ago I got the dreaded jury summons in the mail. I had already gotten out of it twice before. Once by actually having a class on the day of the summons (I think they would have revoked that excuse if they learned said class was on horror films) and the other time by saying I was moving to Allegheny county. Well, they found me in Allegheny county. There was no getting out of it this time, especially if I wanted to file my slightly cheaper taxes under my parents address.

If it weren't for the fact it was on a holiday that only occurs once every four years, I'd be a little more excited. I did not want to actually get picked for the jury seeing as how I had to sit through 12 Angry Men several times in several different schools. I feel as thought that is enough experience with jury deliberation. I merely wanted to go in and let my crazy flag fly. As an avid watcher of 30 Rock, I decided to take a page out of Liz Lemon who got excused from jury duty for seeming too crazy... I don't see why, she just showed up as Princess Leia with a stack of 1970s Playboys. I didn't want to be a copycat, especially since the only Princess Leia outfit I have is the slave girl one and I was afraid it'd be viewed as public indecency and no one wants to see that (j/k, j/k). However, I did come up with a few ways to out crazy my civic obligation:

-State "Well, I don't have any officers of the law in my family, but I am related to a select few who are ABOVE the law" *wink* "Also, my mom thinks we're related to Jaromir Jagr and the Pope"
-Dress in Victorian garb, ask for a parking permit for the Tardis.
- My religious views will be "I just kinda go with whatever Lost tried to convey in the rather disappointing series finale... which I'm still trying to figure out"
-Political views- "Ron Swanson," which will also be the back up answer for everything else.
- Sing the praises of vigilantism, particularly the masked variety, while wondering why there aren't more Batmans running around.... ease into claiming to be Batman.
- Fill out the date as 1999, when questioned exclaim, "I always party like it's 1999, biatches!"
-Check a lightsaber at the door.
- Quote "My Cousin Vinny" at every opportunity, claim that film taught me everything about the law I ever need to know.


However, the court must have taken a page out of 30 Rock and realized that real life is for March and excused all the jurors who were called. It's a Leap Day miracle!


No comments:

Post a Comment