Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Health Insurance? I don't need no stinkin' health insurance...

It's finally happened. The day I've been waiting for since June 1, 2009. Once that magical card comes in the mail, I will officially have health insurance. Looking back, it's been a harrowing two years with a few narrow escapes...

I remember it like it was yesterday. May 31st came and went and June 1st dropped like a bombshell. Sometime as a child I must have opened up an umbrella inside while standing underneath a ladder that a black cat ran in front of... then broke a mirror. It's the only explanation I have for the kind of luck I have. My first day without health insurance, I worked in the lingerie department, which as I have previously stated, is the lowest level of hell... which I barely escaped from. Somehow I always get the crazy people when I work there- elderly women gone wild and flashing me, asking me what size I think they are, women who don't like taking "no" for an answer when they ask for a bra fit... but this one special lady takes the cake. And she just happened to wander in the first day I lost my health benefits. I'm a little bit foggy on the details- I'm guessing it's my brain's way of protecting itself. I do remember I was with this woman for quite sometime, she walked into the department talking on her cell phone... while it was on speaker and while I was actually trying to help her find a bra, she called me a slut because I have a black bra. Anyway, the entire time I was trying to help this crazy loon, she was hacking up a lung. I tried to ignore it, but then at the end of the transaction, she mumbled something about the swine flu.

Luckily, I escaped that contagious disease so I decided that I could use my six allotted call off days for Ferris Bueller type escapades. Unfortunately, I didn't get a parade- but I did get to see the Pens parade when they won the Stanley Cup... which was televised, but I needed to be there in person. I even got there on time, donned in Pens gear, camera in tow and I made it to the second row. Almost kinda sorta right out front. Did I mention it was televised?....


..Oops. (Yes, this is one of my real pictures from the parade)







On a slightly more serious note- raise your glass of lemonade or toast some cotton candy in honor of Mr. Kenny Geidel (aka "Lemonade Guy" or "Cotton Candy Man"), a true Pittsburgh legend who passed away today. Going to any sporting event in Pittsburgh will not be the same...and Pirates games are even more pointless.



No comments:

Post a Comment