Monday, February 7, 2011

And in my little corner of Steeler Nation...

Most of the time, I am a loud and proud yinzer and I question my sanity every second of it. This weekend was no exception. The Steelers made it to the Super Bowl and I decided that it was good family bonding time. I invited my father to go to the Strip District on Saturday and for God knows what reason he invited my mother along. God knows why she agreed to go. She was very excited for a few days. Have I also mentioned that my mother is a big hockey fan? Well, Sidney Crosby fan. Just Sid. Doesn't really know a lot about hockey, but has latched onto him like a cougar to her prey. You'd think that she might want to actually watch the game to see him (even though he's been out forever and a day). But, no. She apparently stands behind my father and asks "Which one is he?" and then after my father (and myself) explained that he's going to be out for awhile, she replied "Well, he went bowling." This was both amusing and scary that she is stalking him this much (at least we know where I get it from.) Then we had to explain to her that hockey and bowling are a little different, to which replied "Not much."

Anyway, my mother started playing a little game called "Where in the World Is Sidney Crosby?" and found out that he is in Nova Scotia, a fact that neither my father nor I knew until she told us. And we thought that it was creepy before. My father did point out one benefit to this in that she is somewhat learning geography. Needless to say, since my future stepdad Sid was not in the Burgh, she no longer desired to wake up at an ungodly hour on a Saturday and make the long journey to the Strip. Oblivious as ever, my dad didn't realize that she would drop him like a hot potato just even at the chance of meeting her future hockey husband. So he assumed that she was still excited to join the legions of loyal Steeler fans in cheering on their team at 8:00 in the morning. She wasn't. But she didn't want to stay home either so she ended up joining my father and I on an excursion to the heart of Steeler nation.... and she was not too happy. We ended up having to distract her by ushering her into the Polish store, but then there were a ton of people in there as well and none of them were the hockey player of her dreams. Like myself, she is not a fan of people- especially when they crowd together in a sea of black and gold with polka songs blasting with the smell of pierogies and hope for victory in the air. She just doesn't get it. My father was having the time of his life though- till he realized how pissed off his wife actually was and he slowly moseyed us back toward the car leaving behind the "Here we go, Steelers" chants, the storm of confetti and his dream of feeling like a young kid in the big city during a Steeler Super Bowl... until 2012 that is.... I think my mom will have to wait a little longer for her dream of Sid the Kid (getting a restraining order against her)

No comments:

Post a Comment