Monday, March 14, 2011

When Irish eyes are smiling...they aren't stuck in retail hell.


On this hallowed weekend of St. Patty's when my fellow Irishmen can roam the streets free of sobriety, I was stuck in the hellhole all freaking Saturday. I suppose you could say I still upheld some of the traditions still since I was positively green with envy at those drunken bastards. Unfortunately, I was stuck waiting on angry little leprechauns who wanted to keep every speck of gold.

A customer walked up to my register on Saturday with one of the survey coupons that cannot be combined with any other coupon anymore. We also had coupons that were $15 off you spent $75. She could have split her purchase up into two different transactions, but wanted to know which would be the better deal. I informed her that it was a twenty cent difference, but if she wanted to use the survey coupon then it would at least be on one receipt. She agreed to this, but when I finished she looked at her receipt and asked if I used both coupons. To which I responded that I already told her I couldn't. Then she said that she would have saved more money had she split them up into two transactions. Yes, she would have saved a whole 20 cents. So she made me return everything and ring it up again. I hope she enjoys all that cash money she got back. You can't even buy a bowl of Lucky Charms with that kind of change.

Then around 8:00, the drunks must have gotten a second wind and decided to come to the mall. Or at least one woman dressed like the a lady leprechaun working on the corner for a special kind of pot of gold. She walked up to my register and threw a bag on the counter and said she needed to return some things. Well, there was only one shirt in the bag and this was just devastating. She almost had a breakdown because she forgot the other shirt she needed to bring back. I had no sympathy because I'm pretty sure there's bigger problems in the world right now than an ill-fitting shirt sitting alone on a kitchen counter. And I think she needed the money for more booze anyway...

I suppose there's always the "real" St. Patrick's day to celebrate, but men in skirts playing bagpipes only march around once...well, maybe twice....maybe a few times a year. What? Yinzers like parades.

No comments:

Post a Comment